Sunday, October 29, 2017

Day 6: Broughton Archipelago Adventure

Saturday, September 2, 2017
7:55 ferry from Sointula to Port McNeill to Alert Bay


When I got up at 6:15 this morning, there was a rainbow of clouds over one of the mountains on Vancouver Island. Maybe from one of the fires? Last night, when I got up to pee there was a bright light shining on the water — the moon! The clouds had dissipated.

I parked my blue-flower-decaled VW in town today, pink and black underwear hanging on a bungee cord strung across the back seat. I was one of two walk-on passengers, and I have the sundeck to myself.


A deckhand named Decklin just told me there’s a memorial potlatch happening a the Big House. Visitors go in and sit on the right. He said he gets off at 15:00, and I’m welcome to stay at his waterfront home tonight. : )  Or there’s a ferry that goes directly to Sointula at 20:25.

Evening


I waited outside the Big House with many other people, but the potlatch had started early and they were only letting in people who were directly involved with the ceremony or part of the family. After an hour and a half, I left to walk through town before catching the ferries back to Sointula. Alert Bay does not seem to want me this trip! And I have to say, I do feel much more at home here.

After a visit to Rugged Bay and a halibut wrap in the rain, I had a misty afternoon hike along Beautiful Bay Trail to Puoli Vali Canyon. What a gorgeous afternoon. I’m so happy to be here.


Copyright © 2017 Lynn Thorsell, All rights reserved.



No comments:

Post a Comment