Sunday, September 12, 2010

Strange Gifts

“This time alone on a little boat at sea in the middle of a wild storm and longing for company is like nothing else in my experience. I have leaned back from others, resenting their close breath upon me, imagining that the most important virtues are self-reliance and independence, fantasizing about post-apocalyptic survivalism (myself the only survivor). Into this resentful misanthropy intruded a frank and uncovered loneliness. This is why people venture out alone on mountains and little boats and across deserts – not because they can, but because they can’t.
“It is true that we are ingenious and resourceful creatures and we can survive without espresso and poires belle Hélène, but we cannot last without companions. In cities we live badly with one another, and blame others – the pressure of their presence – for the vileness of our days. But the fault does not lie there.” – p. 280, The Water in Between, Kevin Patterson
Writing has a way of shifting things. Even if no one read these blog entries, writing them is very helpful to me. That you not only read them, but respond with such kindness, love, and understanding is a balm to my heart. Thank you.
After writing the last entry, I finally thought of volunteering as another way to connect with people here. I called a local organization to which I had been a long-time donor. While they weren’t taking volunteers, a woman named Sophie (another former Vancouverite) very generously gave me contact names for two organizations seeking group facilitators and offered to call them and let them know she had referred me. So that is in motion.
This weekend, I am registered in a workshop: two eleven-hour days in a hotel conference room learning techniques to free oneself from debilitating behaviours and disease. I heard that this program is being used in some areas of federal government leadership training and thought it might be a good connection. Although I had a rough night, I got up early Saturday – by far the earliest since I’ve been here – exercised, showered, and got to the conference by 8:35. I felt scared to be there – too raw and vulnerable, unwilling to open to these strangers. Through the early part of the morning the facilitator led a couple reflections and during these I noticed how my experience of loneliness was once again preventing me from fulfilling my intention of connecting with others. How could I get out of this vicious cycle? What was driving it?
Self-rejection. When that thought came two hours into the workshop, it fit like a key. The sadness lifted. It’s not a particular place or person or people from whom I am alienated; it’s myself.
I have been feeling it most sharply and hating myself most deeply lately because I finally accepted that someone who I want very much to want me simply doesn’t – at least not as much as I want him to. But when I look at the situation frankly, I see that I am abdicating responsibility and trying to get him to do something that I need to do for myself – and that he needs to do for himself much more than for anyone else. In that way, I’ve been trying to steal his energy.
I left the workshop at the noon break. It’s a beautiful day, and I decided to spend the rest of the weekend with myself outdoors. This seems like more important work right now than meeting anyone or learning someone else’s techniques. I’m writing this sitting on a log beside the Ottawa River. There are lily pads and sea grass and boats, and I saw a heron. My camping gear is in the back of the Jeep.
I’ve been resenting Ottawa, questioning my decision to come here, railing against fate and wanting things to be different. Right now, finally, I can see coming here and even not being wanted by someone as gifts: Just what I need in order to begin. I’ve talked about valuing and loving myself no matter what. Now I get to practice.
Copyright © 2010 Lynn Thorsell, All rights reserved.

3 comments:

  1. I love reading your words, Lynn, and it is a twofold gift I receive. First I experience the simple pleasure of beautiful writing; second I am allowed into the depths of you and I feel so honoured. Thank you.
    C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn,
    I've just caught up on some of your postings and really understand where you are at. Speaking from my own experience moving is just that: wherever you go, there you are. Problems and unfinished business come along too, as if you packed them as carefully as you did your valuables.

    Connection is hard in a new place and I hear that you are looking to find roots and just "be" with some people. I wonder if finding a local dance hall might sound so wacky that you just might try it. Just show up, take a lesson and wait to be asked to dance. It's fun, a spiritual lesson on how to follow and NOT lead (I can attest), and the no strings physical connection is a gentle reminder that we all need fun and contact in our lives.

    Thinking about you!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adrift, drifting, floating, free, loose, aimless, wandering, lost, in limbo, purposeless, directionless. In most of these I can see an advantage if I try. But at first they make me want to stay under the covers and hide. From the world and myself. But I think we’re not alone in most of the places we find ourselves. Loneliness seems less knowing that. I’m so glad you’re writing your blog. Reading about your journey gives me hope and clarity in mine. I’m gladdened in knowing what and how you’re doing, and I find comfort in the solidarity even though we’re separated by a thousand miles. I’m sure a happy heart will come to you. In the mean time, know I’m rooting for you. Love Rick

    ReplyDelete